Friday, December 01, 2006

PCOS and a Plan

Today was my 2nd appt with my ob/gyn. DH came with me for the first time, and came away with a much deeper understanding of what I've been going through. I needed my daily planner calendar to answer all her questions: When did I start my last period? What is my current CD? When did I feel what I thought was O pain? How often do I use OPKs, and what time of the day? When was the last time I took Imitrex for my migraines? She wanted concrete dates, as well as cycle days. I could give them to her. But I needed my calendar. DH's mind was boggled at all the terminology and figures flying around the room.

We got the results of my bloodwork today. The good news was that my hormone levels were in a good zone, and my thyroid is fine. The bad news was my sugar levels. They are supposed to be under 100. Mine were at 114. Between that and my u/s earlier this cycle, she said we're dealing with PCOS here. I had a hunch even before we started, just because of my family history. My sister has endometriosis, my cousin is currently in the hosp getting a fibroid removed, and my other cousin had thyroid problems. I figured mine would be PCOS. Thanks, great-gramma.

So. Clomid again, 100mg daily from CD3-CD7 for two months. Then switch to CD5-CD9, to see if that works better. Also 500mg Metformin daily, to handle the blood sugar issues.

I am not pleased to find that the risk of m/c is higher with PCOS. Apparently Met helps with that. I am also not pleased to know that my previous gyns didn't do anything about any of this. I think they should have figured this out when I went in with painful cysts about five years ago. They just put me on BCP and sent me on my way. I questioned the BCP, I proclaimed loudly my family history of IF, and this was how I was treated.

I love my current gyn. I was most pleased to learn this morning that I can keep her under my new insurance plan, and still sign up with the doc I want. That was a HUGE relief!

So that's where I am now. DH has the paperwork to go in for an SA. I told him he could wait until his school term was over - he's so stressed out about his final project, I doubt that going in for an SA would be helpful to him or me at this point. In two weeks, he'll be more relaxed. It may not make a physical difference, but it will definitely make a psychological difference. And the doc said there was no rush, as long as it's done soon.

And last of all, once our insurance is settled, I need to go see my new doc with all the bottles of my meds and come up with a plan to eliminate some of them. The list is too long, and some of them are not condusive to TTC. I'll have to stop them once I'm pg anyway, so we need a plan now.

So that's the scoop. I'm glad to know what's going on, sad that this is what it is, relieved it's not something worse, pissed no one figured this out before, and appreciative that my doc has a four-month plan already figured out.

One day at a time, that's all any of us can be expected to handle. Get through the holidays, hope for a Christmas Bonus but be prepared not to get one, and start anew with the new year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home