Thursday, January 10, 2008

NT test, heartbeat, and more

Well, we had what the doctor called a "First Trimester Test" today. It was an ultrasound where they took a bunch of measurements, and they did a blood test, to see if there are any genetic anomolies going on. I'm not really worried about it at all - I just wanted to see the baby again. ;-)

So it went well, baby is right on target size-wise. At one point, the doctor turned on the mic and we heard the heartbeat for the very first time! He said, "I'm sorry it's not that great, there's a lot of static..." I just burst into tears and said, "Are you kidding? It's wonderful! It's the first time we've heard it!" Wow. I can't even explain. Just... Wow.

Then he says to us, "So, do you want to know the gender?" He said that "officially" he could only tell us with 80% accuracy, but he got a pretty good shot between the legs and "it's pretty obvious." So, we're having...

...a Baby Boy!

I am so thrilled! I have wanted a boy ever since I can remember. When my accupuncturist told me we were having a girl (based on my pulse, I guess), I was a little sad about it. Not that I wouldn't love a little girl just as much. I was more sad at the thought of NOT having a boy, than of having a girl. And whenever I imagine myself with my kids, I see boys. I always have, ever since I can remember.

So overall it was a great appointment! I have pictures, my computer is still acting wonky, but I *think* I'll be able to put them up this weekend.

What a difference one week makes. I'm suddenly in the 2T. My m/s is all but gone. And I'm starting to need maternity clothes. My mom says that us French women tend to show early - she started showing at about 8 weeks. Most of my shirts will work still, but I have a pair of pants on order and I'm hitting the outlet mall next weekend!

Oh, and this is the first time in I-don't-know-how-long that I've been to the doctor and been able to leave my pants on! I brought my own sheet this time and didn't even need it. The baby is big enough, and there's enough amniotic fluid now, that the tummy-cam was just fine. It was nice to meet a doctor who doesn't know what my girly bits look like. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home