Tuesday, January 08, 2008

rejoining the book club

I did something I haven't done for about 15 or so years. I got me a library card.

I haven't been in a public library in ages. Probably since my last high school research project, whatever that was. I think it was on ancient coins. Or Emily Bronte. Either way, it's been something I haven't even thought of, and once the internet was up and running for common use, I did all my research there. Amazon.com took the place of checking out fiction.

But, there are a few books I want to read, and I'm not sure if I'm going to like them or not. I don't want to fork over $20 for a book that I'll think is crap. So I hopped online (of course) and discovered that our public library has a HUGE selection of books. And that I can look for them online. AND that they're open seven days a week, until 8 on two nights of the week. So I grabbed DH and we made an after-work trip downtown to see this place.

Amazing! It was HUGE! Two stories, with an information desk and computers every 10 feet where you can look up the books you want. They actually use the same online system inside the library. The last time I was in a public library, I had to use the card catalog to find a book. But here, a very nice man covered in tribal tattoos even came up to me to ask if he could help me find something. (Incidentally, this same system allows me to renew books and place books on hold from home. I'm impressed.)

Then I went downstairs. Holy moly - they have CDs! CDs didn't even *exist* last time I was in a library! DH and I stood there for a second, mouths open, not quite believing what we saw. I turned to him and asked, "So, what's to keep us from having the greatest music collection ever?" He just kind of laughed nervously and said, "I was thinking the exact same thing." Then we look over, and there's a guy at a nearby table with his laptop and a stack of CDs, just burning through them. DH checked out two CDs, and they cost 25 cents for a two week loaner period. I checked out two books. They had a two-item limit for new customers.

After, we stopped by a local Italian deli we found for meatball subs, still boggled by this library. I mean, I know it's just a library, and probably everyone else in the world knew about all the stuff that just amazed me, but it was all new to me. We're thinking this may become a two-week habit, going to the library to return our books, pick up some new ones, and stop for meatball subs (which were super yummy). DH is planning on bringing his laptop. They have wi-fi, so we may start spending hot summer days there instead of at Panera.

It's okay if you're laughing at me. I feel like a hillbilly hick venturing into the big city for the first time - "Look Pa! They gots music in them thar stacks!" DH has been bugging and teasing me for years about my resistance to going to a library. I think I've put it off for two reasons. One, the library in the town I grew up in sucked. It was a pain to find anything, books were never where they were supposed to be, and it was small. And two, there's something about the combination of white noise and the smell of books that always makes me have to pee. Oddly enough, this place didn't do that. Maybe because it felt more like a bookstore. My own little bookstore where I don't have to pay for books. Who knew?

2 Comments:

Blogger KB said...

The library is great for pregnancy books, too. Then you can return them when you get bored (or if you don't like them). It will also be great for the baby because those kids books get old, fast, and this way you can return them if they get too annoying.

6:08 PM  
Blogger joyous melancholy said...

I wish I'd known about this before I bought an entire library of pg books! Oh well. Now I can "pay it forward" and send them to people who can still use them.

I don't mind paying for a book I enjoy, and will use again. But I hated A Few Good Eggs, for example, and wish I hadn't wasted the money. Oh well. Now I know!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home