Sunday, April 27, 2008

I *heart* my hospital and OB!

I have an active baby. So much so that every tech and doctor has told us, "Wow, you're in trouble! This kid is active!!!" My doctor was laughing on Tuesday, because the baby kept kicking the doppler. I feel him move constantly.

Yesterday my parents came to help us with the house, and my mom has been begging for me to let her feel the baby kick. I'm sure she's thinking I'm just being mean, but seriously, I barely felt him move at all yesterday.

That's fine, it comes and goes. He'll have an active day, and then he'll rest the next day.

But today we had our 4D u/s, and he wasn't moving much again. They sent us to get lunch and take a walk, hopefully to wake him up and get him moving. I even had a Diet Coke. But nope, he was just snoozing away. He'd rolled over by the time we got back, but he wanted no part of any of it.

Of course, I started to get nervous. We could see the heartbeat, and he did roll over, so I knew he was okay, but there has been a serious decrease in the amount of fetal movement over the past two days. I didn't want to call my OB, as I've called him a couple times this week already, and I didn't want to ruin his Sunday by being a pest. So I called the hospital instead, and they said to come on in.

As it turns out, there was another couple there who'd already called in the OB, so he was already there. They hooked me up, checked me out, and again everything is fine. The doctor thinks that the baby just didn't like the heat, or it made him sleepy or something.

I had mentioned to the nurse that I didn't call the doctor, I felt like a pest and figured I'd just call the hospital since I knew they were working today anyway. She gave me a big long lecture about how I need to call any time I get nervous or scared, how I should definitely come in ANY time I had a question or concern, that if the doctor didn't expect to give up a Sunday here and there he shouldn't have become an OB. And honestly, the doc wasn't upset at all, was very reassuring. The nurse told me, "We're not going to think you're being silly. And if you happen to catch one of us on a bad day, and you feel like we're just rolling our eyes at you, it doesn't matter. This is your baby, things can go wrong very quickly, and I'd rather you come in here 50 times with nothing wrong than to sit at home the one time something does go wrong." She kept lecturing me for a good five minutes, and I finally told her that I was taking everything she said to heart, because we'd worked too hard and come too far to lose this kid now.

So they sent me home again. Told me to drink a lot of water, take it easy, and to come back at any time if I feel him move less than three times in any hour.

Tonight he's been moving again, after I took a nap, had something to eat, and sat in a cool room.

Of course, right in the middle of a kicking spree, he stopped suddenly as soon as DH put his hand on my tummy. Now DH thinks Baby G just doesn't like him. ;-)

And we go back in a week to try the 4D u/s again. They gave us a free session, since we didn't get any good shots. Oh, other than a very VERY clear shot of his boy parts. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever, he is all boy!

I love my hospital. I love my doctor. They actually put me in a L&D room, and it is nice! And the nurse spent a bit of extra time with me, keeping up the u/s after the doctor left and talking to me, even though it was a very busy day for them and they were understaffed. I feel comfortable going back for any reason, if I need to, and I'm just so grateful that, if this kid is going to keep scaring me like this, I have a place to go that balances concern and calm in just the right mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home