Wednesday, April 09, 2008

milk connection

I made a connection just yesterday.

I am a big milk drinker. Love milk, it's my drink-of-choice for dinner. It tastes good, and it helps ease my stomach acid. I have been known to have three or four large glasses of milk with dinner. DH and I go through two gallons of milk every week.

I also have to get up a lot at night to pee. My friend suggested to me to cut down on the amount of milk, and that seemed to help with me having to get up. Other drinks are fine, water doesn't affect me like milk does. But for some reason, lots of milk = lots of potty breaks.

I asked a doctor about this a few years ago, she had no idea why this would be. Said there was no medical reason, but if it seemed to work that way, to roll with it.

Now that I'm following a GD diet, I have dramatically cut down the amount of milk I drink. It wreaks havoc with my blood sugar. I'm still trying to find combinations where it will work, but so far it just isn't happening. And now I'm not having to get up every 1-2 hours to pee at night. Which is a bonus, especially if I have to give up something I love so much. Ice cream, cake, white bread, no big deal. But I'm really sad about the milk.

So I was reading my little booklet on GD, and it says that one of the symptoms of high blood sugar is frequent urination. Click click click. Milk causes my blood sugar to spike. A symptom of high blood sugar is peeing a lot. Therefore, when I drink a lot of milk at night, I have to get up several times.

Well duh. You'd think my nutritionist doctor would have made the connection herself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home