Tuesday, March 11, 2008

having The Talk

So boss man called me yesterday to ask me what the implications of my empty desk are. He wasn't upset, more "I know you wanted to talk to me in person, I'd really like you up in the other studio tomorrow, but I noticed your desk was cleaned out and I'm not sure what the implications of that are..." I told him I'd be more than happy to come up here again tomorrow, and I could briefly outline what I wanted to talk about over the phone if he wanted. So I told him that I loved it up here, and it just really made me realize I couldn't return to the other showroom again. He didn't sound surprised at all, and was very sympathetic. I think it will be good for him to have time to think about it, let it be his idea.

The guy who runs the showroom here, J--, overheard the conversation, and told me that he really hopes I can come to work up here. That meant a lot to me. And he and boss man talk all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they talk about this tonight. J--'s really liked having me here - having competent help to actually get work done and be in the studio when he's out at jobsites, which is about 70% of the time. He also called boss man over the weekend to tell him that it was really helpful having me here last week, and could I come back this week. So now everyone here wants me here. And Coworker G doesn't want me there. And I want to be here, not there. It's pretty much unanimous.

Boss man tried to make all these excuses for not dealing with this situation sooner - family problems with his parents, his MIL, other stuff with the kids and grandkids, etc etc. I just didn't say anything. He finally said, "Well, those things always happen, and we definitely need to make time to sit down and talk this through with you." I wanted to talk to him alone, without boss lady, because she tends to get defensive and argumentative. But I should have known better than to think they'd do anything separate.

So I'm back up here in the nice showroom, leaving about 3:30 to meet them for coffee around 4:30. Hopefully it will go well, it seemed like he saw this coming and more than anything he's sad that he didn't do anything sooner. So we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home