Tuesday, March 04, 2008

gender issues and job woes

So first of all, my last u/s had added nothing but confusion to the mix. Of course, after I finally bought my first romper in blue, the tech at my very next u/s told me that she's "not at all convinced" it's a boy, and "it looks remarkably like a girl" to her. But she wasn't sure. I'm not sure I buy it - that first tech was pretty darned certain. And girls have been known to be shy. I think DH and I are going to break down and do one of those fancy-schmancy 4D u/s thingies, see if we can get a definite reading.

And now for something completely different.

I am so fed up with my job, I just decided for sure today that I'm not going back. I've spent the past two days working in our second showroom, and it's been absolutely delightful. I'd forgotten how much I love my job, and why I stayed here for so long. I'd forgotten how nice the day can be when passed in the company of people who actually like me, appreciate my work, and speak to me.

But lately, when I go to work at my usual showroom, I wake up with a pit of dread in my tummy. My head hurts, my stomach hurts, my sciatica acts up. I can't sleep, I have a hard time eating, I'm crabby and short tempered and my attitude just plain sucks. I have this continuous internal monologue, snarky and mean, and I'm honestly scared that I'm going pull an Austin Powers and start narrating it out loud.

I know that a lot of this could potentially be chalked up to "she's pregnant, duh!" But consider this - I feel just fine on the weekends. And these past two days, I've had none of these problems. Well, except the sciatica, but on a much lesser scale. And I've had stairs to contend with!

They want me back at "my" showroom on Friday. I'm not going. I'm just flat out not going back. I don't have it in me. I can't do it for them, I can't even do it to placate my husband anymore. He's 'bout the only reason I've been going at all for the past two months. But I physically can not do it anymore.

My plan. I'm going to call in "sick" on Friday. And I'm going to schedule an early morning meeting, preferably before work even starts, on Monday with the boss-man. Boss-lady is optional, I have a feeling I'll get further with just him. And I'm going to cry, and tell him just how miserable I've been. I'm not planning on manufacturing tears, mind you - I'm just going to let him see just how distraught and upset I really am about all of this. I've been crying at home for weeks now, and work is the main cause, so let him deal with a sobbing pregnant woman for a change. DH has done more than his share of that.

I'm going to lay it on the line. He can either transfer me to the other showroom on a permanent basis. Or he can let me go. Because I can't give him the work he needs out of me. My coworker has won. I can not rise above her pettiness and sabotage. I'm too busy using all my energy to keep me and my baby healthy and safe.

I'm going to use my time off on Friday wisely, too. I'm going to call EDD and find out a few things - can I collect unemployment if I quit because I've basically been harassed out of a job, and The Powers That Be haven't done anything about it? I'm pretty sure the answer there is "Hell Yes!" Can I switch to disability when time comes to give birth? Or do I actually have to be employed at the time? And once disability runs out, can I switch back to unemployment? Or am I better off calling my doctor, crying to him and letting him know how stressed I am right now, and asking him to put me on early disability?

Because let's face it, even if the market in my field didn't completely suck right now, and there were jobs aplenty to go around, who is actually going to hire a woman five months pregnant? Yes yes, I know there are laws and all of that. But laws have loopholes, and this one is as simple as "We didn't find you to be a good fit for our company." So really, who's going to hire me at this point? I'm pretty much screwed until (a) this baby comes, and (2) the market changes.

(I'm also taking time on Friday to finalize my claim for this class action lawsuit that might possibly mean I get all my tuition back from when I went back to school a few years ago. That would solve quite a few problems for me as well, including my agreement with DH that I work until my student loans are paid off.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home