Tuesday, May 06, 2008

GD update

Let me start by saying that I *heart* my nutritionist! She works directly with the doctor (I'm not sure exactly what kind of doc he is, a pharmaceutical insulin doctor or something like that?). So my appt today was with both of them at the same time. He looked at my numbers, added them all up and averaged them, went through my meter to make sure I had them all. She looked at my food log and asked me how the meal plan was going.

I told the nutritionist that the only problem with the meal plan that I had was actually eating all she told me to eat. Last night, for example, I had a half a chicken salad sandwich on wheat, then snacked on cherries and almonds for the rest of the evening (we had our BF'ing class). I find myself eating smaller meals and more frequent snacks, and she said that's just fine because it seems to be working. I gained a pound, so she knows I'm not starving myself, and as long as I eat AT LEAST six times a day, and drink plenty of water, I'm doing just fine. She's more concerned with me not eating enough than she is about me eating enough.

Bottom line, I'm doing just fine - not only do I NOT need to go back on insulin, but my numbers are so good that they only want me to test my blood sugar three times a day, three days a week. =) So yay! Fewer needles, fewer sticks, less keeping track of every single thing. It's exhausting to write down everything I eat, test before and after each meal, try to remember which finger I used last so I don't get too sore.

Of course I still have to be vigilant, but my numbers are well within normal range and I'm feeling pretty darn good about being able to manage this just with diet. I even get to have fruit and milk again! I snuck a teeny tiny piece of cake at my shower, and it didn't affect me at all. Not that I'm going to be eating cake every day, of course, but it's nice to know my body handled it the one time I let myself indulge.

I can certainly do this!

2 Comments:

Blogger BigP's Heather said...

You're a rockstar!

4:23 PM  
Blogger joyous melancholy said...

=) I *am* feeling pretty good about this. Now that I'm on track, I'm very happy with how it's going. Not having a map or a guide, though, was driving me nuts.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home