Saturday, May 17, 2008

confessions of a labor chicken

I have a confession to make. I think in some ways, some secret place in my head was hoping that I'd end up with a c-section. The thought of labor and delivery terrifies me. I wouldn't even admit this to myself, but I think it's been there. I've been dreading today's class (Preparing For Childbirth/Lamaze) because I didn't want to hear it. I've been in the room when someone gave birth - twice. The first time it was good for about two years of birth control. The second, I stayed near her head and refused to actually watch. I whimper when I get a braxton hicks, I whine when I'm having a "pregnant day" and things hurt more than usual, I sigh deeply when I have to go up or down a flight of stairs. Despite my tattoo and my piercings, I am a big ol' wimp when it comes to physical pain. I don't like it, and I will do almost anything to make it stop.

Plus today I realized, as I was saying it to DH, I have been in some sort of female-related pain for three years. As soon as I stopped BCP in preparation for TTC, my cysts started acting up again. I went from that to fertility treatments that intensified AF pain to fertility treatments that had their own pain to pregnancy. I'm tired of hurting. I don't want to wrap it up with a bang.

But today we had our class, and it really wasn't bad. The video on c/s scared me more than the video on vaginal birth. The effects of the various medications scared me more than the implications of not taking them. There are more positions for labor and delivery than I ever imagined, and DH is damned good at the backrub thing (we'll work on the coaching of the breathing thing).

And I learned that I am probably not even a candidate for an epidural, because of my blood pressure. I can still consider narcotics, but the epi is pretty likely to be out.

The birth I have witnessed in person was horrible. I sensed it at the time, I know it for fact now. The mother was not allowed any freedom of movement. She was not allowed anything to eat or drink. They rushed her labor, rushed her pushing, the doctor yelled at her to push, and eventually decided he was tired of waiting and wanted to do a c/s. At which point a nurse said "Hell No," crawled on top of my friend, and pushed down on her belly 'til the baby came out. It was violent, and traumatic, and invasive. It was also my only point of reference.

Apparently this hospital does things differently. My L&D room will have a shower, which I am at liberty to use with or without DH. They encourage switching positions for contractions every couple of hours or so. I get to decide what position to push from, based on what feels most comfortable to me at the time. I can have food and drinks, and there is even a little mini kitchen available for DH to get me ice water or heat up a neck pack or get me some juice. The rooms have a rocking chair, they suggest laboring on the toilet, and overall it's just set up to make a laboring mom feel as comfortable as she possibly can under the circumstances.

I walked into class today thinking, "Okay, I changed my mind, I want off this ride now." I expected to walk out of class today more worried and afraid of labor than before. Instead, I find myself thinking, "I can do that." I'm still considering medicinal help, but I'm leaning more towards analgesics and maybe a shot of narcotics. I'm not that upset that I may not even be allowed to have an epidural. I don't really hope for a c/s, as it actually seems like the more difficult of the options, and I really am still looking for the easiest way out of this. Well, maybe not "easiest," but least traumatic.

And I want to hold and nurse my baby as soon as possible, which would be before the cord is even cut if I deliver vaginally. If all goes well, the baby comes out and is immediately placed on my chest, then the cord clamped and cut.

I also learned something else today. I have been worried about DH in the delivery room. He has a very hard time watching people he cares about go through pain. I've been thinking of who I would want to help him help me through labor. He was a champ today, though, and I have full confidence in his ability to help me through this. We are truly having a baby. And now I can hardly wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger BigP's Heather said...

THANK GOD!! I'm just into my second trimester and it is totally hitting me that this kid will have to come OUT of me somehow. I tried to get pregnant for years, but I guess I never thought much about the whole labor part. I'm so glad your class made you more at ease with everything. I really really really hope mine will for me. Your hospital sounds great, I have a feeling my small town hospital won't be as open...

8:30 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I'm only in the 1T and I'm already terrified of labor & delivery. I have never witnessed an actual birth, but I've read "What To Expect When You're Expecting" and the book's coverage of L&D scared me shitless. It's funny how when you're desperately trying to conceive, you sort of forget that that baby has to somehow come out of you. Yikes!

I never thought I'd ever consider taking a Childbirth class, but your post made me realize that it can be somewhat comforting. It takes a lot of mystery out of the ordeal and it sets realistic expectations (I hope). I hope my hospital gives laboring women the option to change positions and to do what's most comfortable for them. I can't imagine being "trapped" in one spot, enduring horrific pain and having an impatient doctor who pushes a c-section because he wants to get home in time for dinner.

6:05 AM  
Blogger joyous melancholy said...

I am continually amazed by my hospital. They just received a large grant from the state to educate their staff on skin-to-skin care, the importance of getting the baby to mom ASAP, and different labor techniques. They do all the testing with mom in the labor room, and don't take the baby away to the nursery for clean up and shots and all that until the family has had about three hours together after delivery. Assuming all is well, of course.

I took the class because (a) it was part of a package deal, (b) I was under the impression it included a tour of the L&D ward (it didn't, but the instructor took those of us who'd been misinformed through the ward anyway), and (c) nothing about this pregnancy has gone quite the way I expected, and even though I expected to want drugs right away, I figured I should be prepared for anything that might happen. I'm glad I took it. I have some new stuff to think about now.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home