Friday, May 16, 2008

new law in town

I didn't even realize that the issue of gay marriage was up before the Supreme Court, but apparently it was, and it passed.

I really can't see what the fuss is about. If "they" really want to make a case against this, they really need to come up with some better arguments. The ones I've heard so far are pretty flimsy.

They say it will devalue the meaning of "real" marriage. How? My marriage is in no way affected by anyone else's. The people who have weddings for their dogs, they guy who wanted to marry his car, now THEY devalue the meaning of marriage. Even still, it has no impact on my relationship with DH whatsoever.

They say that it will hurt the children. They say that marriage is for procreation, but what about couples who can't have kids? What about gay couples that adopt? I'd rather see a child go to a loving home with same-sex parents than be shuffled around in foster care from family to family who see her as a paycheck.

Ultimately, though? I see love on one side and hate on the other. Regardless of your beliefs regarding the gay lifestyle, I think we can all agree that love=good and hate=bad. I just can't take sides with an argument that is based on intolerance and hatred and fear.

I'm sure I have more to say about this, but my lunch break is over and it's time to get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home